Downwell have just completed a 7 month partial demolition project in Wapping for St George. The project comprised of various demolition works within a 5 storey concrete framed building. The project is part of a major regeneration of the London Dock area which is to provide new homes and recreational spaces for local residents.
Scope of Works
- The entire external facade of the building was encapsulated with scaffolding and Monoarflex with a pedestrian tunnel being erected along the length of the building on Pennington St.
- An extensive temporary works scheme had to be installed to safely allow the sections of the building to be removed.
- The entire 5th floor had to be demolished. This involved small items of plant being lifted into the building via a mobile crane. The elements of the structure on the 5th floor were removed using hot works and hydraulic shears.
- The rear stair core was removed from the 5th floor down to the lower ground floor
- A large section of the building was removed using our Volvo 700 High Reach. This was positioned on Pennington St whilst sitting on a protection mat that was made out of compacted aggregate. This mat was designed to prevent the weight of the machine damaging the cobbled road surface.
- The facades of the building were removed on the Pennington St, Artichoke Hill & The Highway elevations.
- The upper ground floor slab was removed using a standard height demolition excavator with hydraulic muncher.
- Concrete saw cutting was used to trim the rough edges back to the finish cut lines.
Wapping, London, E1W
08/15 - 03/16