Fire damaged building demolition
Downwell were appointed by Savoy Construction to complete the demolition works at the Harrow Rd site. The site was subject to a large fire that destroyed several of the retail units and resulted in the entire parade of shops and apartments above having to the evacuated. Following the fire a large amount of scaffolding was installed to support the structurally unsound structure.
Scope of Works
- The scaffolding and hoarding on the side of the building had to be adapted prior to our arrival to permit the demolition plant access to the building.
- Due to the buildings being structurally unsound the usual soft stripping phase could not be completed. The separation of the different materials was completed during the structural demolition works. Operatives wearing disposable overalls, breathing apparatus and other PPE sorted through the materials as they were pulled out of the building.
- Asbestos containing materials were thought to be present within the structure and were removed by Inner City Environmental by removing it locally as the building was removed.
- A standard height demolition excavator was used to demolish the structure in tandem with operatives picking through the arisings and segregating the different waste streams. All materials were then loaded into bins before being taken to recycling facilities.
- The chimney stacks protruding from the fire damaged roofs were removed by operatives using hand tools. A cherrypicker was used to gain the necessary height whilst operatives wearing harnesses and using 110v breakers proceeded to reduce the height of the chimney.
- As the buildings were reduced the scaffolding was struck and removed from site. The hoarding line that was once going down the centre of Harrow Rd could now be moved back into the building line and the previously blocked lane on Harrow Rd being permitted to be reopened.
- The basements that were positioned along the Harrow Rd boundary line, beneath the shops were cleared out and then backfilled with clean hardcore.
413-419 Harrow Rd
413-419 Harrow Rd, London, W9 3QL
June 2017 -August 2017